March 01, 2010

Unusual Beginning

March started off strangely. My Romanian friends and I went to a bar on Sunday night, which led into the first of March after midnight passed us. We weren't drunk since we'd only had one or two drinks, depending on the person and the strength of the drink (I had a Tequila sunrise) but some other people at the bar were clearly intoxicated. As one such drunkard was walking by, he knocked over my coat from the chair and, too drunk to pick it up, just merely apologized. I responded with a "don't worry about it" at which he asked, quite out of the blue, "Do you know Johnny Hallyday?" (This was all in French, by the way). Upon hearing my response, "Yes, he's a singer right?" he sat himself down at our table. 

He was quite clearly, flamboyantly gay. A colorful scarf wrapped around his neck, a stylish, tight-fitting shirt and skinny jeans with polished shoes to top it all off, he sat crossed legged next to me and asked, "Do you know any of his songs? Sing a song!"
Not knowing a single song by Johnny Hallyday, I responded honestly, "Sorry, I don't know any songs by Johnny Hallyday."
"You don't know any songs by Johnny Hallyday?! How can you say you're French when you don't know a single song!" he demanded almost angrily. 
Flattered that he didn't catch my slight accent in French, I responded, "I'm not French, I'm American." 
He insisted, "You must still know one song if you're in France!"
"No, sorry."

At that, he jumped on top of our table, knocking over an empty beer bottle in the process. Throwing the dangling scarf across his shoulder, he quite femininely brushed back his hair, and then proceeded to sing, what I assume to be, a song by Johnny Hallyday song at the top of his lungs. My Romanian friends gave me a look as if I was responsible for this, though Marius seemed to think it was hilarious and even chanted along with him. While attempting to dance on the table, this mysterious, drunk, gay man spilled some beer on us and just would not leave. Way to start out the new month! That is, until his boyfriend came and helped him off the table and they left the bar.

The night was pretty calm after that. We all eventually left the bar to get some sleep before classes would start later that day. I must say, never before have I had a gay man sing and dance to a Johnny Hallyday song on my bar table before. Like they say, there's a first time for everything. Too bad I didn't have my camera with me... from now on, I'll always try to have a camera with me. 

Today's Random Quiz:
You Are the Communicator



You are a collector and facilitator of knowledge. You love storytelling and teaching.
 

You light up when you're around other people, and you especially light up in front of a crowd.

You are a charismatic person who's genuinely a joy to be with. You remind others to have fun.

You love life, and you're wake up grateful for every new day. This attitude makes the people around you love life as well.

No comments: