March 07, 2010

Quality, Not Quantity

The Oscars are supposed to be held today, according to my sister who wants to study film. I really haven't been keeping up with pop culture media, so I was clueless when it came to most films. Last year, best picture went to Slumdog Millionaire, which I really loved and think it deserved. This year, I can't say I have a favorite; the nominees are:
Avatar
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

Of these, I've only seen The Hurt Locker, which was a good, but not great movie. I have a vague idea about Inglourious Basterds and Up. Up in the Air and Avatar were recommended by many but Avatar was also said to be extremely overrated, especially according to my brother and sister. I trust them because we generally have similar tastes, so I'm sure I wouldn't like Avatar that much. Apparently, Avatar = Disney's Pocahontas, except with amazing graphics. It might be a visually pleasing movie, but that doesn't mean it deserves best picture if the plot is one that's been rehashed and is unoriginal. Sure, it sold the most tickets, but things like this should be about quality, not quantity.

Can't say I'm expecting much since I probably won't watch the Oscars anyway. Not just that, but I almost never agree with the movie that wins best picture. Last year was an exception since they actually picked the film I would give the Best Picture Award to, which normally never happens. Since I'm apathetic this year, I just spent most of my free time baking/cooking:
Lemon-molasses glazed salmon over a tossed salad

American Southern biscuits

Whole wheat spaghetti with broiled salmon topped with a curried vegetable sauce and a lemon wheel

Today's Random Quiz:
You Would Win Best Documentary Feature
You are very curious about and engaged with the world. Everyone is interesting to you.

You have a variety of interests, and you delve into them quite deeply.

People are impressed by the sheer quantity of stuff you know, and you're learning more every day.

However, you're not just informed. You also are very informative. You share what you know in an engaging and interesting way.


No comments: