May 01, 2010

Xenomania on Hold


After much deliberation and lost sleep over my most recent dilemma, I've finally made a decision about whether I'll travel the world or stay put and learn languages (and in turn, finish my studies). As the title of the entry suggests, I'm going to restrain my xenomania for the time being since my love of languages is greater than my love of traveling. I realized this as I thought about when and how these passions developed. 

My love of languages goes deeper into my past than my love of traveling does. In a way, my interest in foreign languages inspired me or led me to discover the world, develop a sincere and profound interest in other countries, and created my second passion for traveling. It was a tough choice to make since a significant part of me (like 49.99999%) is deeply hurt by my decision and still wants to defenestrate everything (figuratively) and travel the world. Still, the very slight majority wins since this isn't something I can split very evenly. After all, it's sort of a winner-take-all situation. I can't hitchhike around the world for a few years AND finish my studies at the same time. That would be impossible. 

What I do know is that at every opportunity I WILL travel in attempt to satisfy my other half. Every winter, spring, and summer break accorded to me during my studies, I will try to travel as much as I can. Summer break tends to be longer, so I suppose if I get enough scholarships or I work as a teaching assistant, I'll be able to have enough money for plane tickets to "far away lands". A bittersweet decision... I can't say I'm completely happy, but I'm happy as I can be, given the circumstances. 

Today's Random Cartoon:

No comments: