May 16, 2009

Fattest of the Fat

Americans are stereotyped as being:

* stupid
* painfully monolingual
* fat
* materialistic
* lazy

... among a number of other negative characteristics. If I look back at my life, I think much of it was spent on defying each stereotype that came in my way, but I won't get into that.

One thing that is kind of true... well, all the above stereotypes have some truth to them, though not all Americans possess all the aforementioned traits... obesity in America is a growing problem (no pun intended).

Of all the "fat" Americans out there, apparently the fattest state in the U.S. is, with 31.6% of its population being obese (and even more being overweight), Mississippi according to this 2008 map:
The leanest state of the United States is Colorado. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but I'm not surprised why so many of the southern states have huge populations of obese people. Most of the food traditional to the South is greasy and fried... which I don't understand. If it's hot down there, wouldn't you want to eat things like fresh cold fruits or something more refreshing instead of fried chicken? That's just my logic, but I guess Southerners disagree.

2 comments:

Erik said...

31.6%? Seriously? That is a BIG problem. (pun intended :))

Laura said...

oh dear... i guess that's why insurance is so expensive here.