May 01, 2009

Jettisoning Vices

Not quite sure when it started happening, but I know it's been at least a day since my heart has been hurting. It's like I'm "heartbroken", but literally. It's been over a week that I haven't had coffee. Yes, yes, believe or not but I am trying to quit coffee. My boyfriend, for those who've met him, smokes. I want him to quit. So we made a deal. I quit coffee and he quits smoking. In addition to coffee, I even agreed to quit drinking alcohol, making this deal a little unfair but still, I'm willing to hold true to my part. Our deal is quite good, actually. Neither is allowed to create another vice (i.e. I can't drinking Red Bull in the morning, he can't start chewing tobacco) otherwise that would defeat the whole purpose of jettisoning one vice only to trade in for another.

What is strange though, besides the initial withdrawal effects of caffeine (including headache, extra-groggy mornings, crankiness, short-tempered moments in the morning, etc.) I have an additional "side effect" from quitting coffee, painful heartbeats. Is it the coffee withdrawal? Is it because I'm stressed out and panicking on the inside (which I am for other reasons I don't feel like discussing) or is it because I'm anxious? I don't know. All I know is, coffee might have been a magical drink that kept me going. These days, I'm always tired, I doze off on the subway all the time and mornings are a little better than hell since I can barely lift my head up off the pillow. Not drinking hasn't given me any negative physical conditions but it has made my weekends banal - I stay home reading/studying instead of partying.

Have you guys ever tried to quit something and actually succeeding in doing so (indefinitely)? I don't know about you... but for me... whew... it's tough. The alcohol, I can manage with no problems but it's the lack of coffee that's killing me.

Today's Random Picture:
A little quiz for you guys. If you can read this, I'll give you $5. =)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh! I know what this is!!!!
It's German shorthand but I can't read it, unfortunately. Too bad about the $5.

Pavol Čiernik said...

Ja, es ist Deutsche Einheitskurzschrift. Aber ich kann nicht es lesen.