"Remember, remember, the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot."
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent
To blow up the King and Parliament.
Three-score barrels of powder below
To prove old England's overthrow;
By God's mercy he was catch'd
To blow up the King and Parliament.
Three-score barrels of powder below
To prove old England's overthrow;
By God's mercy he was catch'd
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holla boys, Holla boys, let the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
And what should we do with him? Burn him!"
Holla boys, Holla boys, let the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
And what should we do with him? Burn him!"
If you know anything about British history, you'll know what this day's all about. It's my first time I'm in the UK on Guy Fawkes Day, so I decided to put that out there, despite not being British myself. Even if you don't know about Guy Fawkes Day, I'm sure you've heard of the little nursery rhyme above or if you've ever watched "V for Vendetta" you must have heard it before!
Apparently, shame on me for not knowing this before especially since I dated a Briton for almost a year, but people in the UK actually celebrate this day! Or rather, perhaps more appropriately, this night. They call it "Guy Fawkes Night" or "Bonfire Night" and celebrations are met with fireworks and bonfires as well as some traditional "Bonfire Night" food. I've been invited out to celebrate tonight, so we'll see how that goes. Ah November... I can't believe it's already November! It makes me think of Thanksgiving... will definitely have to throw a party for that.
Today's Random Picture:


No comments:
Post a Comment