Since I'm going to post on the date, I might as well update my otherwise neglected blog. My program (or as the British would write "programme" or "course") started on the 5th and so far things seem to be OK. I've adjusted to the time difference, found a place to stay (living with my ex-boyfriend's friend for the semester in a small but comfortable 2-bedroom "flat" aka apartment), and I've made a few acquaintances here. Not much else to say at this point about my program or my life here since courses started less than a week ago and I haven't been here long enough to judge.
Oh, there has been on rather strange development. I'm realizing how easily influenced I am concerning English accents. I've already started dreaming in British English and sometimes I find myself consciously making an effort to speak American English. Lately, British intonation, style, and to an extent, accent, have been popping out of my mouth when I speak English. It's really bizarre. Perhaps it's because I'm surrounded by Britons with very "proper" British accents and that's usually the only English I interact with during the day or perhaps I'm just extremely easily influenced. Whatever the case, I imagine it will be very strange to talk to my mother once (or perhaps more) times a week, conscious of my accent and intonation, very aware of her dislike of the British accents.
Today's Random Picture:
The British Isles and Ireland and the literal meaning of the city names. That's right, "London" actually means "hill fort" =D

No comments:
Post a Comment