June 30, 2010

Checkpoint Past the Halfway Marker


For some reason, I got all reminiscent and decided to write in my journal and read some old entries before heading off to Liechtenstein. As each year goes by, ever since my childhood, I've made a handful of "New Years Resolutions" that I almost never end up fulfilling. I actually did follow through with one resolution I made, which was in 2009 (obtain level C2 in French). Now it's already the end of June and I took a look back at my journal entry of January 1, 2010. For the new year, my resolutions were as follows: 


1. Finish more things on my list
2. Do more good deeds
3. Become fluent in German (B2, preferably C1)
4. Spend more time with family
5. Spend more time with friends
6. Read more books
7. Enjoy life more
8. Get in better shape to do 99 push-ups in a row
9. Make a new stranger smile every day

How am I progressing so far? Pretty pathetically, I think. I could do better, for sure. I finished a lackluster 6 new things on my list of things to do before I die in the last 6 months and only visited 4 (but that is soon to change) new countries. I don't think I did many good deeds this year... I worked, I studied, I learned languages... I really did not have much free time. The only charitable, selfless acts I've done was giving food to people who had signs that read "J'ai faim" on the streets. Becoming fluent in German... well, I'll know when I take an exam in December, I suppose. Spending time with family and friends? I tried calling more often and I will go home in August and I'll make sure to spend a lot of time with them! I did read more this year, though, though pretty insignificant in terms of number (only around 23 books so far). Have I enjoyed life more than I did last year? Hm... hard to say since the year is not yet over, but I do love life... la vita è bella!!! The push-ups are coming along, but I can't seem to break 51... and I have been very successful with #9. We'll see if I manage to fulfill any of the above resolutions by December 31, 2010. 

Sorry this is such a nonsense entry, I just wanted to post an update before leaving. I'll make sure to eat Swiss cheese while hitchhiking through Switzerland this time!!!

Today's Random Picture:

No comments: